Ork Looted Wagon Conversion - Heavy Weathering - pt. 2

In my last post on this model I showed you how I physically weathered the model before painting it. In this post I will go over how I weathered it with paints and pigments.

The first step was to paint the model Blue. I wanted this vehicle to have previously belonged to the Ultramarines Space Marine chapter. I figured the blue would be very recognizable since Ultramarines are pretty much the iconic Warhammer 40k faction and it would also contrast nicely with the orange and red rust colors. To paint this guy blue I broke out the airbrush and mixed up a 60:40 ratio of Alcohol to Ultramarine Blue and went to town on it. I gave the model a good coat but didn't worry too much about getting a perfectly uniform coat, I also didn't worry about hitting all the cracks and crevices as you can see in the pictures below. This would help with the appearance of shadow in the later steps.


Once this dried I took an Xacto knife and pair of tweezers to the model and started pulling off the Liquid Mask that I had applied earlier. This was very much a learning experience. For the most part I used too little Liquid Masking Film. This made it hard to tell where the film ahd been applied and also hard to remove. This part of the process took quite a while. The results were very neat though. The rust color I had painted on was very bright and contrasted exceptionally well with the blue. The only problem was that it looked like I had cut the area out with an exacto knife (which I had) - the edges were smooth and round - no transition from one are to the next. I would remedy this in the next step.

Next up was using my new MIG weathering pigments and Rust Effects that came in the mail in just the nick of time. I started out using the liquid rust effects. I put a layer of Light Rust Effects and then went over it with a layer of Standard Rust Effects. This stuff is amazing. It is like Devlan Mud but for rust. It is that good.

Once that had dried I broke out the pigments. I had never used pigments before and I was pretty excited about it. I have watched a few videos and read a few tutorials and I was pretty intimidated. There really wasnt any reason to get as worked up over it as I did - they are actually pretty easy to work with. I was happy with the results I got out of them - they added a nice color as well as some texture that would have been very hard to get with paint. The colors I used were Light Rust and Old Rust. The Light Rust by itself was way to bright so I mixed it 50/50 with the Old rust and got a very nice color out of it.


I would go back and forth adding pigments and rust washes to this model for quite a while. In these two pictures I am about halfway through the process of adding rust. There isn't a huge difference in the model from at this point and when it was finished but I think it was worth it.



Here is the model with the rust effects finished. The next step after adding the rust was to go back and add some grime and to weather the tank tread. The grime was pretty easy to do - I used MIG Oil and Grease Stain Mixture. This stuff is really neat (I know I keep saying this about MIGs products but they really are.) It was almost as if I was actually adding a oily mixture to the model. When this stuff dries it has a very light sheen to it that just makes it work. I didn't go too overboard with the grime since I wanted the model to be so rusty. If the whole thing was covered in oil and grease it would be hard for it to rust.

The next step was the tracks. I haven't weathered tracks before like this so I handled it just like the rest of the model. I put down a layer of black, dry brushed it Bolt Gun, and then added a layer of grime. On top of the grime I put down a layer of rust pigment - the grime made it stick really well. Over the top of all that I added in some Track Brown pigment. This gave the tracks a look of age and packed in dirt. It really sealed the deal on the treads.


Once all the rust, grime, and tracks were finished it was time to pick out some color. I wanted to use a very limited pallet on this model and I think I succeeded. Aside from the washes and pigments there are only three main colors on this model - Brown, Blue, and Boltgun. For an accent color and to make it pop just a bit I painted the rocket fuel tank and warheads bright red. I started with foundation red and worked my way up to Blood Red. It gave the model a nice bit of color without over powering it.

Once everything was set and dried it was time to seal. I hit the model with the Testors Dullcote and let it dry. I had read online that sealing a model with pigments can have some interesting results. Either I was lucky or the MIG pigments hand sealing well because I didn't have anything odd happen. I will say that the sealer kind of 'flattened out' the pigments, I lost a bit of texture but it helped blend them in.

To get around the loss of texture I added another few layers of pigment. I think I got it on when the sealer was just a tiny bit tacky so this should help hold it all together. Another side effect of using the Dullcote was that I lost the sheen on my grime. I went back and added in another layer where it was needed to bring the shine back out and the tank was done. I feel that I have reached my goal of converting and weathering a tank that looked like the Orks had looted it and just not taken care of it at all.



At this point the tank itself is finished. I have a Grot Rigger that is holding a bunch of ammo from the Ork Stompa kit that I am going to paint up and put on the back - he was originally glued down but I didn't figure he needed to be painted blue and weathered so I popped him off before I started. I also need a machine gunner or lookout for the front hatch so I will have to paint that up as well. I am thinking about using this vehicle as my painting competition piece so I might get around to building a small diorama for it.