OSL Attempt 1 - Ogre with Warpstone Flail

This model was really fun to work on. I decided that I wanted to model up a Slave Ogre to go in with my units of Skavenslaves. I had a spare Ogre left over from my Ogre Kingdoms so I decided to have some fun with it.

I have been reading the Gotrek and Felix Omnibus and decided to model the ogre after the one they fought with the mohawk and ball and chain. The first step was to model up a mohawk out of some green stuff. This was a bit tricky but it turned out pretty nice.

Next I needed to give him a ball and chain. I thought about it and dug and dug in my bitz box but nothing seemed to work. A bit later on I was looking at the Plague Monk sprue and I found the Warpstone banner topper. Bingo! I had found my flail head.

Since it is Warpstone and I have been wanting to try my hand at OSL I figured this would be the perfect chance.


I painted up the ogre as regular and then started on the warpstone and the glow effect. I paitned the stone snot green and then highlighted with scorpion green and bleached bone. For the glow effect I used the same colors and built them up on the areas that should have the light reflected on them. I used a simple drybrushing technique to do this.


While this didn't yield as stunning an effect as layering and glazing on the colors it was really fast and turned out pretty neat - especially for the time I put into it.

I was very happy with the result and have a few more models that I have tried this on - I think I may even be getting better at it. I will be sure to post some pics of my progress.