Imperial Fists - Troops Tutorial

In my last two posts I told you about the secret sauce and showed you some test pieces I did on a couple of Rhino interiors. Today you get to see the method put to use on some Tactical Marines.

The first step is to prime the model white - I use GW's White Primer as I still haven't found a better alternative - and then hit it with your yellow of choice - I use Krylon Yellow for mine.

The next step is one of the most important ones - wait. Make sure the model is entirely dry before continuing. I will usually spray a batch at night and then work on them the next day. It is a slow process but there isn't much actual time where you are dealing with the model.


After the model is completely dry it is time to pick out the the details. On the model below I hit the shoulder pads with black as well as the ball pieces on the backpack. The only think left to do on this guy is to paint the eagle. I use a watered down coat of Dheneb Stone for this. I don't paint on any reds at this point - they come out way to dark after the dip.


Once you have the details picked out it is time for the dip. You can see on the bases above where I use a little pair of pliers to hold the base. I also use square bases because I have a bunch of them from conversions and I don't want to ruin my round bases.

After you dip the model set it aside and let it dry for about 24 hours. After that you can do any touch up and hit the final details. I paint the eyes and purity seals at this time. The shot above is from one of my earlier models where I was doing the guns separate. Now I glue the gun down before I dip it so I don't have to go back and wait for it to dry.

If you are going to add any decals now is the time to do it.

Once the model has all of the details picked out it is time to put him on a base and hit him with the Testors Dull Cote.


The pictures above don't really do justice to the amount of shine that the Dull Cote knocks off. These guys almost look odd they are so flat, but I dig the look.

I have been very pleased with the way these guys have turned out so far. It has not been a ton of work but it has been very involved and slow going. I am having a blast doing it and can't wait to get my force complete.

Be sure to let me know what you think in the comments!