Ork Week - Scratch Built Zzap Guns

I keep looking through the Warhammer 40k Ork Codex and my eye keeps straying over towards the Gretchin Artillery Battery. I know that Battlewagons are where it's at, but Grots just hold a special place in my heart.

In order to be able to field these little pointy-teethed bundles of joy and their amazing lightning cannons I decided to model up a few Zzap guns.

The biggest challenge on these guys for me was going to be the wheels. I just haven't figured out a good way to truly scratch-build wheels yet so I hopped on Ramshackle Games and ordered up a few pairs of cheap resin wheels.


I used the wheels as the structural base of my model. I drilled a pair of holes in each side of the wheels and then 'pinned' them together with a paperclip cut to about an inch and a half. I then put down a piece of plasticard between the two. For a gun base I used a piece off of the Imex Chemical plant. The actual gun is made of two pieces of plastic tube and another bit of Imex pipe.


I braced the piece with another Imex bit so it wouldn't fall over and then added a bit of guitar string and rivets and called it good.


This model is a bit rough - but its for Orks, so it should be. I am happy with the way it turned out and don't think anyone will have any trouble telling what it is on the table. Here is a shot of the official model. Looks pretty close to me.