Building and Painting Necrons

*** I wrote this a while back so this article is pretty old. I will try to get some pictures of my finished Necrons up in the next week or two. ***

In my last post I told you that I was starting up a Necron army. In this post I am going to tell you how I am doing it.

The first step is figuring out what type of army you want. Since I am building this army for 5th edition I decided to go with lots of troops. I figured I would want to be able to max out my troops slots so I decided on 60 warriors. I am also building this army to be cheap so I decided to go with a battleforce and a few boxes of warriors to get started.

So far I have bought one battle force, two boxes of warriors, and one tomb spyder off of bartertown.com. This gives me 64 warriors, 3 destroyers, and one tomb spyder. Oh yeah, and a crapload of scarab bases.

The first thing I did was cut out and clean up all the warriors. Truth be told I think this took longer than actually painting these guys. It isn't that cutting them out took a long time, these guys are just really fast to paint.

I then glued them together and left them off the base. I did this to speed up the painting process. This allowed me to paint the bases seperately and not have to worry about being neat around the feet. This was a huge time saver.

I then primed the Necrons by laying them on their back and priming them and then flipping them over and doing the front when that was dried. I repeated this step using Boltgun Metal out of an airbrush. Talk about fast.

To give them some depth and color I then shot them all with a Devlan Mud wash. This made them look a bit aged and dirty. Perfect.

Once the wash dried I glued them to the pre-painted bases. For the baes I put down a layer of ballast with super glue and then primed it white and drybrushed it with Fortress Gray.

Once all the Necrons were based I painted the smooth gun line, gun vents, and eyes with Scorpion Green.

At this point I am now done painting. I seal um up with some matte varnish and snap in the little green rod and the Necron is done. I am not going to win any awards with these guys but for the amount of time I am putting in on em they look pretty good. Also Necrons get banged up quite a bit - you are constantly tipping them over and standing them back up so I am fine with not spending tons of time on em.

I will try to get some pictures up soon so you can see how they are turning out.