Extinction Angels Rhino - Part 2

Behold the fury! Here are some WIP shots of me painting my first Warhammer 40k Rhino.

As I said in my last post I have heard horror stories about painting tanks. I have now experienced that horror first hand.

The problem is the size of the tank and the large flat surfaces you have to deal with. I am used to painting models that are quite a bit smaller than this and that have tons of detail built into them.

I compounded my problems by priming this model white. I thought I would prime it white for some strange reason. I then inked/washed around the areas that needed some shadow or transition shading.

As I painted the large flat areas I noticed a few things - it was very hard to not show the texture of the brush. I overcame this by watering down the paint and adding several layers. This created the problem that you can see below - the black showed through layer after layer of paint.

It was a very time consuming exercise to put the base coat on the tank. At this point I was quite discouraged and put the tank up for a few days.

In the next post I will show you what the tanked looked like after I regained hope and started up again.

I used the M and P to show the areas I was going to paint metallic or purple.