13th Company Update - Thunderwolf Cavalry Conversion

It's been a while since I updated you on the progress of my 13th Company Space Wolves. These guys have taken a back seat to some other models that I have been working on lately but I managed to get a paint job on the Thunderwolf Cavalry model that I converted in this post.

This model was a blast to paint. I used the same scheme as the rest of my models - I primed it black, hit it with flat grey spray paint, and then did the details with a 50/50 mix of Blood Red and Scab Red. After that I hit the teeth with Bleached Bone and washed the whole model with Devlan Mud. This gives the model a very grimy/dirty appearance that really fits in well with the theme.


Converted Thing in the Woods from Games Workshops Mordheim Line

Since finishing this model up I have a few more models that I have gotten ahold of that I will be using to round out my unit of Thunderwolf Cavalry. I am really looking forward to doing these conversions. Here are the models that I have found so far -

As Jester pointed out in this post The Mouth of the Abyss from Hell Dorado miniatures would make an excellent Thunderwolf - especially so for my 13th Company. The sad thing is these models are hard to come by right now since Hell Dorado filed for bankruptcy a while back. Since then another company has bought the rights and master molds but there hasn't been much progress on getting the models back into production.

The Mouth of the Abyss from Hell Dorado

Another excellent model that I found was the Battle Hyena from Zenit Miniatures. I picked this model up from Cool Mini or Not's store and am very pleased with it. The model is cast in resin so it will be easier to work with than the above metal model. This model is a bit expensive, but far cheaper than using Canis as a base for a conversion. The model is just a bit on the small side but I think it will definitely be passable as a mount for a Space Wolf.

Battle Hyena from Zenit Miniatures


The last model that I have picked up to try and convert is The Maw from Hasslefree Miniatures. There are three different poses for this model and I just love all three of them. There is one slight problem though - the models are just too small to be used as mounts. I bought these without seeing a size comparison and they are about the size of a dire wolf model - maybe a bit bigger.

Sadly I wont be able to use them as a mount, but that isn't going to stop me. I have modeled one up being held on a chain by a 13th Company Space Wolf and I plan on using these as my rank and file Thunderwolf Cavalry. The models that I will convert out of the above models will be used as Wolf Lords or Wolf Guard Battle Leaders on a Thunderwolf Mount.

The Maw from Hasslefree Miniatures

And here are a few models that I haven't picked up myself but that I have seen people using in various forums.

MaxMini.eu has a giant wolf model available. I have had good luck and have been impressed in the qualtiy of their molds on the things that I have ordered from them.
MaxMini Giant Wolf

Here is a conversion from The Bolter and Chainsword using a High Elf Lion as the base -
Converted Games Workshop High Elves Lion

Another model that I have seen used is the Circle Orboros model from Privateer Press. Here is a shot of it converted up that I found over at Warseer.

Circle Orboros Wolf

And last on the list here is a wolf model that came out of Russia about the time the Space Wolves Codex landed. They were sold on eBay and listed on Cool Mini or Not as Space Thunder, Monstrous Riding Wolf, of Wolves. Kind of an odd name but a pretty cool looking model. I clicked on the link from the CMON page but did not see any listed on the sellers eBay page so I am not sure on the availability of these models.

Space Thunder... Russian Thunderwolves

And last but not lease - using a Juggernaut of Khorne as a mount. Our very own Monkey published some really nice pictures last week in this post on using the models.

Converted Juggernaut of Khorne by Monkey

Has anyone else found any suitable models for Thunderwolf Mounts? Let me know in the comments and I will update this article.