Review - Warhammer 40k Squad Command for Nintendo DS

I am a huge fan of my Nintendo DS. It is perfect for when you need a quick fix of entertainment. I have always enjoyed strategy games - especially turn based ones. When I saw that there was a turn based strategy game for the DS set in the Warhammer 40k Universe I knew I had to give it a shot.

I picked up a copy of Warhammer 40k Squad Command and popped it in and started playing. Right away I was excited. There is no long drawn out intro or annoying tutorial. Just you shooting some Chaos Space Marines with your squad of Ultramarine scouts.

At first I thought the game was insanely difficult. I would run forward, get shot, kill an CSM or two and then my guy would die. I quickly realized I was not going to be able to play this game like I usually do. I slowed down, picked my target and consolidated fire as I slowly moved across the field.

When I finally beat the first mission I was excited because I was then given access to more weapons. The game continues on like this. At this point I have access to scouts, marines, and a Dreadnaught. Each troop type has several different choices for weapons ranging from a shotgun up to a lascannon.

Most of the reviews for this game do not paint a pretty picture. Truth be told it is not that deep of a game. Your troops do not advance in skill and the map is fairly repetitive. But that is part of the charm of this game. It is a quick fix if you are looking for a non-committal strategy game. And you will especially like it if you are a fan of 40k.