Ultraforge Greater War Demon

Two weeks ago I bought an Ultraforge Greater War Demon and started painting it. This last weekend I finished it up.

This is the largest non-vehicle mini that I have ever painted and it was quite an experience. I started off by using a new priming technique - zenithal priming. This is basically priming the model black, and then spraying it white from the top to simulate light and shadows. I was happy with how the priming job turned out, I had feared it might dust up on me.


From there I started putting the base colors on the model. For this skin I did a light wash of Red Gore and built it up using several layers. Fro the metal I started out with Tin Bitz, added a few layers of Gold, and then washed it with Devlan Mud. I think did a light drybrusing of Gold over the top of that.

For the bone I did way too much work on it for how it turned out. I had started out by trying to build up from brown, but in the end I painted it with Dheneb Stone, washed it with Devlan Mud, and dry brushed with Bleached Bone and Skull White.

The eyes are the favorite thing on this model. I painted them by putting down a few layers of orange and then topped it off with a nice yellow. I think highlighted around the eyes with a few layers of orange and red wash.

In the end I was very happy with how this guy turned out. It was very much a model that just didn't look right until it was completely finished. I have already started working on my next Ultraforge Demon, the Greater Plaguedemon, and plan to have all four of the Chaos factions represented within the next little bit.