Manufactorum - Sanctum Imperialis Kit Bash

Needing some new scenery I decided to try my hand at some of the Games Workshop Warhammer 40k plastic building kits. I picked up a Manufactorum and a Sanctum Imperialis kit and spent an evening putting them together.

Right from the start I knew that I wanted a pretty good sized building - the only thing I couldn't decide on was if I wanted it to have a large footprint or to be vertically imposing.

I decided to go for a mix of the two and this is what I came up with -

I was working on the piece while Jester and Monkey were getting a game in and they both thought that the bottom level should pretty much block line of site except for the door. I had enough solid pieces between the two kits to make this happen. I used one small bit from the Warhammer 40k Bastion kit to plug a hole in one of the panels next to the door so that the whole bottom layer is solid (except for the door.) This makes the piece work well for blocking line of site - something that a lot of tables still have trouble with.

As I was building this I kept wanting to go higher and higher. I eventually settled on three stories when I ran out of pieces - that pretty much put an end to my skyward progress. I ended up cutting up a bunch of the floor pieces to make jagged pieces because I didn't have enough. I simply used a razor saw to score them down the middle and then snapped them in place with a pair of side cutters. I then used the side cutters to rough up the edges by biting out pieces.

So far all I have done to this piece is prime it black and dry-brush it with a dark metallic paint (a mix of a silver and black Wal-Mart brand craft paint.) I plan on picking out a few details, washing the model with Badab Black, and then weather it. For the weathering I am going to do a bit of rust and then try my hand at soot marks - something I haven't yet tried on any scale. It should be fun and hopefully the piece will look nice once I get it all painted up.