Painting Gold on Space Wolves


The Wolves are coming, finally, so I decided I'd spend a bit of time talking about how I painted my shoulder pads and portions of my tanks with gold instead of the traditional yellow.

First off, I hate yellow. I always have. It is an irrational and groundless loathing, but it doesn't seem to be going away. Therefore, when I began painting my Space Wolves I decided to use gold instead of that dreadful hue. Painting gold, however, has its own set of pitfalls. It doesn't coat well, and it looks pretty trashy if not done well. So, here's a brief tutorial.

1. Layers: Most of my gold has been painted with a minimum of 4 layers of gold. It's simply what is necessary for a good coat.

2. Chestnut Ink: I know they don't make it anymore, but if you can find it, it works wonderfully with gold. I usually do two layers of Shining Gold, wash it in Chestnut Ink, and then do two more coats of Shining Gold.

3. Highlighting: This is pretty rudimentary, but Burnished Gold works very well as a highlight color for the Shining Gold. It requires very little blending.

4. Complimentary Colors: Red and Black work well with gold. Silvers are okay if you want to stick with metallics, but the relative shininess of the two colors can make it hard to differentiate.


Well, that's about all I have for now. I'm heading into the woods for a few days, and I'm taking my Space Wolves Codex with me. Hopefully, I'll have a review up early next week.

Later,

Monkey