Review - coolminiornot.com's The Ultimate Miniature Painting Guide

When I decided to get back into painting miniatures I started scouring the web for guides, tutorials, and articles on everything from painting to actually playing a game. I added quite a few sites to my del.icio.us favorites and found a few good community websites. It was on one of these sites that I saw something that caught my eye - "The Ultimate Miniature Painting Guide."

I decided that for $10 I would give it a shot. A few minutes after paying I had my pdf. I have read through most of the book pretty thoroughly at this point. Basically it is a compilation of guides written by different members of the coolminiornot.com forums. The book covers topics from the very basic such as dry-brushing up to advanced topics such as non-metallic metals (something I have yet to try.)

The book is organized quite nicely and covers a wide variety of topics. Some of the pictures are not as sharp or as crisp as they should be. This has more to do with the fact that it is a pdf file than the photos themselves - there had to be a trade off between size and quality. For the most part it is not an issue.

If you are a very experienced painter there will be little in here you do not already know. But if you are just starting out or have taken a break for a few years this is definitely a good place to start or brush up on your skills. For the price you can't beat it.